Thursday, July 29, 2010

Home Study PaperWORK!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I finished it all about 2 weeks ago. I never imagined getting together the papers to adopt would be so time consuming, but it was. It took me about 6 weeks to finish, and I wasn't even working! I cannot imagine trying to get it all together while teaching school and living life. Here's the list of everything I gathered for the home study, and where I had to go to get it if I didn't have it already.

  • Certified birth certificates for every member of the family (health department)
  • Marriage license (Rutherford County Clerk's office)
  • Financial information form
  • Copy of driver's license (I forgot this one- oops!)
  • Copy of front page of federal tax returns for the last 3 years
  • Statement from bank stating how long we have been customers, that we are in good standing, and the current balance in savings and checking accounts
  • Letter from employer stating job title, length of employment, salary, and probability of continued employment
  • 4 letters of recommendation (3 from non-family members and 1 from a family member) stating how they know us, how long they have known us, what kind of people we are, and what kind of parents we would be to a child we adopt
  • Medical forms for each adoptive parent and for any child in the home (4 doctor's visits!)
  • FBI fingerprinting (a place in town does this)
  • Residential history form
  • Vaccination record for any pets in the house
  • Copy of water bill
  • Home study agreement form
  • Home study release form
  • Confidential disclosure forms on members of the household over 12 years old
  • Picture of the family

WHEW! It definitely was a lot, but it will be worth it. We also had our first visit with the social worker this morning at 8:30! That is so early for us at the end of the summer. She came to the house, interviewed all 4 of us, and looked around the house. She didn't look in the closets (that would have been okay- you all know Phillip) or look to see if the bathtubs were clean (that wouldn't have been okay- you all know me). She was super nice about everything, and I think we came off as pretty decent people!

We have one more visit with the social worker, and then we will begin working to find our baby. I pray for our baby and his/her mother daily, hoping they are safe and that they will find their way to us sooner rather than later.

Love-

Ashley

3 comments:

  1. This sounds like SO much work. But I'm glad you finally finished! And the social worker sounds nice! I can't wait for this to happen :)
    Love, Laura

    ReplyDelete
  2. that is a very familiar looking list:)!! so glad you got that part behind you...you know just two days after we turned in that pile of paperwork to LM, we found out about sweet nate...soooooo, you never know!! love to you guys!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ashley, I went back and read your blogs. I am so proud of you and your family and am so touched that God is leading you and you are listening. I will keep you and your family in my prayers and hope that it goes larger soon!
    Dana E. (signed as anonymous because I didn't know what all that other jargon was at the bottom.) :)

    ReplyDelete